Don’t underestimate the importance of mould cleaning. Mould poses risks to your health. You should clean it immediately.
Doctors around the world have linked mould to various health problems. These include asthma attacks, allergic reactions and congestion of the sinuses. Mould spores can also cause irritations of the throat, nose and eyes.
Mould might not be the root cause of these difficulties. But it has a way of exacerbating underlying conditions. For example, a study in California discovered mould could increase the risk of bronchitis and respiratory infections.
The people most at risk from mould and its spores are those with compromised immune systems. This might be people suffering from cancer, diabetes, heart disease or a chronic illness. When they inhale, mould spores in the air are able to attach themselves to their respiratory tracts. The spores grow into fungus along the tracts and can prove toxic.
This may all seem rather dramatic. But according to a mould expert at the University of Manchester “mould in the home is a common health problem, affecting tens of thousands of people in the UK”.
So if you come across mould in your home, kill and clean it without delay. One approach is to use a chemical-based biocide. You can buy such a product at hardware shops and garden centres.
But be careful. Although a chemical mould remover is effective, it can also be dangerous to your health. The solvents in the biocide are a form of poison and could lead to respiratory problems, and eye and skin irritations. In other words, the cleaner could be as harmful as the mould.
A risk-free approach is to use a water-based mould remover. This is just as good at killing and cleaning up mould as a chemical product. It’s odour-free, non-toxic, environmentally safe and good value. Simply spray it on the mould. The detergents in the water-based solution seep into the fungus and clean the surface beneath.
You can use a water-based remover on any mould you find around your home. But sometimes you need to track down the mould first.
Mould thrives in damp areas, so you need to consider where it could be growing. Even if you have what you believe is a dry home with no water ingress, don’t let this fool you. Condensation in your home can create pools of moisture that form in out-of-the-way corners.
You should investigate behind curtains and furniture. You should check the edges and corners of carpets. You might also want to have a look in your loft. Old bird and wasp nests in loft spaces can become damp and attract mould.
As well as cleaning up mould, you must prevent it appearing again. Although you cannot remove all the mould spores in the air, you can at least make sure you don’t give them damp areas to settle in.
The key issue is to regard mould removal and prevention as part of your regular home-cleaning routine. Once you do this, you eliminate a potential cause of ill health.
Summary: Frquent appearance of mould can never be good for your home. You must understand the importance of mould cleaning from your home. You can do it with the help of non-toxic mould removers.
Monica Haubert is an expert writer. She likes to share her knowledge and information through her writing. She is particularly interested in products that can help with lifestyle and health difficulties. She also has ideas on home improvement tips and tricks. She often writes blogs to share her ideas. Here, she tells about importance of knowing mould removal processes.